The Rainbow Chamber Foundation, the 501(c)(3) non-profit affiliate of the Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce, recently awarded scholarships to 10 LGBT and LGBT-supportive students from the Sacramento region or attending local educational institutions.
2016 scholarship recipients, their schools and fields of study are:
- Jill Hagey, University of California, Davis, Animal Biology
- Andrew Henkin, California State University, Sacramento, Social Work
- Victoria Tan, University of the Pacific, Music
- Kimberly Angulo, UC Davis School of Law
- Kevin Roux, Lincoln Law School of Sacramento, Juris Doctor
- Jonathan Taylor, Drexel University, Criminal Law
- Brett Wenck, American River College, Hospitality Management
- Casey Jordan, American River College, American Sign/Deaf Studies
- Michael Dransfield, Santa Fe University of Art and Design, Digital Arts
- Monica Vasquez, Makeup Designory, Cosmetology
The scholarship presentations were made at the Chamber’s annual awards dinner Sept. 15 at Dante Club. “We are so proud of our 2016 scholars and grateful for the community support that allowed us to award a record number of scholarships,” said Rainbow Chamber Foundation Chair Diana DePaola. “These young people represent the future of our community, and we are honored to support them on the path to many future achievements.”
Since its founding in 2008, the Rainbow Chamber Foundation has awarded scholarships to 42 LGBT, questioning or allied students. In its first funding year, 2009, the organization awarded only two scholarships; in 2015, with the addition of a SMUD STEM program scholarship and a named scholarship funded by private donors, the Foundation awarded scholarships to seven deserving students. In addition to its scholarship program, the Foundation supports other local organizations that provide assistance to LGBTQI youth, including the Sacramento LGBT Community Center and the Gender Health Center.
For more information about the Rainbow Chamber Foundation or to access the online scholarship application, visit https://www.rainbowchamber.com/about-the-foundation/.